The focus of this one-day training designed specifically for QN/CPAs, is on opening the breastfeeding conversation with pregnant and breastfeeding women. Attendees will develop encouraging key messages to share with pregnant and breastfeeding women. In addition, practicing counselling skills, preparing pregnant women for breastfeeding, building confidence in new mothers, helping moms with common breastfeeding issues such as low milk supply, positioning and latch and supporting breastfeeding when mom and baby are separated are other important areas which will be explored.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- List three reasons why breastfeeding is important
- Describe breastfeeding anticipatory guidance for pregnant women, especially during the third trimester
- Discuss the steps of baby-led breastfeeding
- Identify resources available to help address common concerns mothers may have about breastfeeding
- Describe the skills that can be used when talking with mothers about infant feeding when there are contraindications to breastfeeding
Target Audience: WIC Coordinators, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA, Breastfeeding Coordinators, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinators