Building staff awareness and competency in the ability to provide breastfeeding support and encouragement to all WIC participants are important skills for all staff who work in the WIC Program. Utilizing the USDAs Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC Curriculum, support staff will explore how WIC compares to the national health objective goals for breastfeeding, identify best practices for establishing a good milk supply, the role of support staff in promoting, supporting, and protecting breastfeeding and how to move mothers from worry to confidence using participant a centered approach.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- List methods that WIC is using to support breastfeeding families
- Name at least 5 reasons breastfeeding is important
- Identify how to get breastfeeding off to a good start
- List key methods for effective communication around breastfeeding
- Recognize clerical/support staff roles, feelings and responsibilities as part of the WIC “team”
Target Audience: WIC Coordinators, Breastfeeding Coordinators, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinators, Nutrition Assistants, Clerical/Support Staff