Determining which breast pump meets a breastfeeding mother’s needs requires an assessment using a participant-centered approach. This training is designed for professional staff to understand the role breast pumps play in supporting breastfeeding and which pump is most appropriate based on a mom’s situation. The QN/CPA will learn how to conduct a breast pump assessment, practice participant-centered counselling when issuing a breast pump and explore resources available to support the breastfeeding mother.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Explain how breast pumps can support breastfeeding
- Describe the importance of teaching hand expression
- Identify key components to conducting a breast pump assessment
- Select the most appropriate breast pump for a breastfeeding woman
- List resources to support breastfeeding mothers when they return to work or school
Target Audience: WIC Coordinators, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA, Breastfeeding Coordinators, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinators