Prerequisite: The Rapport Building & Behavior Change training is a pre-requisite prior to attending this program.
This two-day training will focus on developing skills to engage and support WIC participants through behavior change. Trainees will learn how individuals are motivated to change and the role WIC staff can play in this process. The spirit of Motivational Interviewing, an evidence-based strategy proven effective at increasing motivation and commitment for behavior change will be used as the basis for this training. Come and experience the fun, interactive activities to learn the techniques for supporting participant’s positive, health outcome based behavior change.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
• Identify stages of change using the Transtheoretical Model of Behavior Change.
• Explain the underlying spirit and principles of Motivational Interviewing (MI)
• Demonstrate techniques to resolve ambivalence about a changing behavior
• Assess self-efficacy for making a behavior changes
• Identify roadblocks to communication in MI
• Apply OARS communication skills
Target Audience: WIC Coordinators, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA